torsdag 8 april 2010

a supervillain writing experiment (5)

And that is how I found myself inside the Justice Quartet’s headquarter for the second time in just a few days. The first thing that strikes me is how different it looks through my own eyes compared to the multi-spectrum vision of Lady Argent. Now the walls are normal, painted in discrete colours and hung with posters and pictures. I see no trace of electricity humming through hidden circuits, or of the multitude of security systems I know are there. I have my mental shields up as tightly as I can, but I can do nothing about the nervous sweat darkening my armpits. Once again I’m glad that I choose to wear a suit today, a good suit hides many things. There is a reason why they are so popular in a high stress business environment after all.

“I didn’t know you were affiliated with the Quartet” I say to break the silence as we stand in the elevator, surrounded by the hum of sensors checking out every aspect of us. There is probably somebody sitting in a room far from here, seeing how nervous I am on their thermal readings. I only hope that’s natural for most people who are let into this place.

Rick is silent a moment before he replies, “We are friends. I wouldn’t be here otherwise. This is too personal… well, you will see.” He leans forward into the security scanner, the pale blue light playing over his eyes and face. “I helped to get them set up after things went back from normal five years ago.”

“Still the mentor then” I manage to say with a smile as the doors hiss open, and we step out into the hallway leading to the fourth floor conference room. “I hope they will make you prouder than I did.” In an absurd way I actually mean it.

“You always made me proud Cyr; there is no shame in retiring.” There it is again, that voice so filled with caring and confidence. Can all this be true? Maybe he really doesn’t suspect a thing. But why seek me out then?

“I still don’t understand what this is all abou…” I begin, but fall silent as we enter the room and I see Lady Argent standing motionless near the window, as still as a statue with her back to us. Porphyry sits slouched in an oversized chair that just about holds up under his bulk. Herald looks up where he stands, and there is a haggard, nervous look on his face as if he had been pacing. He still has bruises on his face. I can sense the tension even with my telepathic gifts in their most dormant state.

“I’m sorry I’m late” Rick apologises, and then gestures towards a chair. “Have a seat Cyr, and we’ll explain everything.”

I take the seat, face carefully calm though I half expect restraints to snap shut around me, and telepathic dampeners to pop out of the walls. But, there is nothing. Herald sits down, Lady Argent remains standing, and Porphyry taps his fingers against the armrest of his chair. “It is an honour to meet you all” I say, with what I hope is suitably nervous anticipation.

“Static has spoken highly about you, Sidestep” Herald begins, and I quickly raise a hand to interrupt.

“Cyrus. Just Cyrus. Sidestep was fifteen years ago.” And Cyrus was five years ago, I feel like I have almost forgotten what I was like then. But I can’t sense any suspicion from them, though I don’t dare to probe. I wish Lady Argent would turn towards me so I could see if her eyes would flash with recognition or not. The tension makes my gut twist.

“As you wish… Cyrus.” Herald smiles, that wide and easy grin that has melted the hearts of millions of fangirls. “I apologize for the urgency of this, I know that I should respect your retirement, but we cannot trust anybody else with this.”

“Why?” I find myself asking. “I live an ordinary life these days; I have not had anything to do with the heroic business since the Incursion.” I speak the truth; it is not on the side of Angels that I have taken my strolls.

“That is exactly why we need you.” Herald leans forward, apparently the chosen spokesman for the team. “You are retired. You are out of the business. And Static vouches for you.” Lady Argent has still not turned around, but Porphyry is watching me intently with those narrow slits that pass for eyes in his rocky state. “Three days ago, an unknown assailant mindwiped Lady Argent into stealing an experimental item. Now, she does not remember much, but she got the impression that this was not one of our normal villains.”

I sit quietly because that is the only thing that I can do. I sit and wait for it. What could I have missed that she had picked up on? What tracks had I not erased? When would they grab me and drag me to jail? The thought of spending years in dampened facilities sent shivers down my back, and absurdly I feel the need to be sick again. I wish I hadn’t had that second cup of coffee.

“It was a hero.” Lady Argent speaks up for the first time, her voice as hard as her silvery skin. “I don’t remember much, but that was the impression I got. This was someone who is supposed to be on our side.” She is looking straight at me, sizing me up. But there is no flash of recognition. No widening eyes. No pointed fingers and accusations.

“A hero?” My surprise is not faked, because I wonder how she got that impression. Perhaps my lingering bad conscience that I had to use her so? Perhaps I had to watch my subconsciousness more when I possessed people, not just my conscious thoughts. I had not prepared adequately for the emotional residue. Lesson learned, now I just had to stay out of jail to use it.

“Yes” she says, and finally sat down, silver lips curled in an unhappy scowl. “Now you understand why we couldn’t turn to any of the psychics that we know. It could be anybody.” Unlike Herald she has no outward marks from the fight, she is as smooth and perfect as always, the blue suit as tight as a second skin atop her silver one. “We asked Rick if he knew any psychics who were out of the loop, and your name came up.”

“I… am flattered?” I give Rick a quizzical look. “But my psychic powers are not that strong. I used to browse surface thoughts to get an edge in a fight, that’s hardly telepathy powerful enough to go up against someone who would mindwipe somebody.” I am grateful that they seemed to have gone for that line of reasoning instead of plain possession. Hopefully that would lead them barking down the wrong track.

“You are still a telepath” Rick breaks in, giving me that look again, the trust in his eyes made me want to smack him. I didn’t need this on my conscience too; the deed was over and done with. But they didn’t know that, they knew that something was wrong, that they had been betrayed by someone they should trust, and they would keep looking.

“I suppose I am.” I nod and make up my mind. Since I could not stop their investigation it was far better that I was involved. If I turned them down they would go to somebody else, and they might pick up on other things I had missed. And now they are aware of me. Not a pleasant combination. “If Lady Argent would permit it I can try to make the memories clearer and see if there aren’t any more clues that she just can’t remember.”

Lady Argent looks as if I had promised I’d slap her, but she nods reluctantly. “If that is what it takes.” She tosses back her silver hair with a flourish as if I had just issued her a challenge. “Let’s do this.”

“Wait a moment! I quickly interrupt. “I have not used my powers this way for years. Please, give me a day or two to centre myself. I need to cleanse my mind.” That was one word for it, I had to come up with a distinctively different telepathic feel, I didn’t want her to associate me with what had happened to her. That would take work. Not to mention figuring out in which direction I should have the evidence point. “How about the day after tomorrow? And I would like to have Rick there as well. He won’t influence the process since he is unreadable.” I give Rick what I hope is a suitably nervous smile. The truth was, I wanted Rick there as a witness, and an anchor. If he was around I found it easier to remember the man I used to be. The hero. He was the mask I needed.

“If it is fine with you Argent, I would be honoured.” There is something there that I can’t pick up on, something between Rick and Lady Argent that almost makes her turn him down. Something that causes her to frown. Something interesting.

“Fine” she says, after a few moments of hesitation. “It is agreed then.”

I’m not sure which one of is the most relieved when I am finally allowed to leave the building.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar